This surprisingly simple dessert is sure to please the crowd. Thanks to Sam Goodwin for this delicious recipe!
Preparation & Cooking time:
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100ml thick strawberry yoghurt
6 medium-large bao buns, defrosted
Strawberries, sliced (optional)
1. To make frozen yoghurt parfait, start by adding eggs, sugar & vanilla into a heat-proof mixing bowl, whisk until just combined. Place over saucepan of boiling water, & whisk constantly until it’s thick, pale, & doubled in volume; this will take about 5 minutes. Make sure the bottom of the mixing bowl is not touching the boiling water. Remove from heat when done, and allow to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, whip cream to soft peaks. Gently fold in strawberry yoghurt & egg mixture into cream gradually, adding 1/3 of the yoghurt & egg mixture at a time.
3. Line a 20x30x4cm baking tray (or similar) with cling film.
4. Pour parfait mixture into lined tray, spread out to even layer, it should be 2-3cm thick. Fold edges of cling film onto the top of the mixture gently to cover. Place in freezer for 5-6 hours or until frozen.
5. Just before serving, preheat deep fryer to 180c.
6. Fry bao buns in 2-3 batches until golden brown and crispy. Place on paper towel lined tray to drain & cool slightly.
7. Remove parfait from freezer. Lift out of tin using edges of cling film. Cut into 6 even sized squares.
8. To serve, sandwich a piece of yoghurt parfait in between fried bao bun. Dust with icing sugar.
Recipe thanks to Masterchef's Sam Goodwin!
You can watch Sam make this recipe in the Love Food Hate Waste short documentary >> WATCH IT HERE